The Apeks MTX-R Octopus delivers the same outstanding cold water performance as the MTX-R regulator but is finished with a high visibility yellow front cover, inlet trims and low pressure hose. The MTX-R range were designed in accordance with the United States Navy Experimental Dive Unit extreme cold water test.
As with the primary regulator, the octopus does not have any diver adjustable controls and has been specially adjusted and modified for optimal performance in the extreme cold water conditions specified in the US Navy test.
To help combat ice forming on critical components in near freezing water whilst performing at 60m the octopus is fitted with a large heat exchanger around the hose inlet that works to draw the cold created in the pneumatically balanced valve as the compressed gas from the first stage is depressurised into the housing. At the same time it also helps to transfer heat from the surrounding water back into the valve and housing.
- A first of its kind, over-moulded first-stage end cap and environmental diaphragm to prevent ice build-up that could cause a free flow in extreme circumstances.
- Forged 1st stage body gives maximum thermal performance.
- Ribbed diaphragm clamp on the 1st stage ensures improved heat exchange in cold water conditions.
- Angled HP ports allow for optimal hose routing and transmitter fitting.
- Parallel turret ports allow for improved hose orientation.
- Superb protection from impact damage on both the 1st and 2nd stage.
- Simple to use 2nd stage with no dive adjustment controls and a reduced chance of free flow.
- Double swivel hose for greater freedom of movement and comfort.
- Patented heat exchanger surrounds the valve mechanism, dissipating the cold caused by gas expansion while drawing in the warmth of the ambient water.
- Developed in accordance with the United States Navy Experimental Dive Unit extreme cold water test.
- Tested for Octopus use to 60 metres in cold water.